EJAYAR PHOTOGRAPHY, 41 WINDSOR TERRACE, SOUTH GOSFORTH, NEWCASTLE NE3 1YL
TEL: (0191) 2851202
St. John the Baptist Church, Ulgham, Northumberland. The present building dates from the mid-1840's on a Norman site. A relic of this is the carved window head, which was built into the North aisle; the carving of this stone has been dated as Anglo-Norman, about Ad 1100. A similar but undecorated window head is in the outside wall beneath the belfry, which was built for two bells but contains only one, reputedly since the Commonwealth. The oldest grave in the churchyard is dated 1610 and is that of Anthony Rumney, Bailiff of Ulgham. Carved stones at the back of the church, unearthed during the rebuilding of the church wall, are supposed to be the remains of a monument to the Lawson family, who lived in the village for centuries. The church was originally a chapelry attached to Morpeth, but was sepatated in 1875, due to the mining in the area making it self financing.
These pages were designed by MIRROR IMAGE. All photographs taken by Ray Urwin©.
For more information please contact email@example.com