EJAYAR PHOTOGRAPHY, 41 WINDSOR TERRACE, SOUTH GOSFORTH, NEWCASTLE NE3 1YL
TEL: (0191) 2851202
St. Giles's Church, Netherwitton, was consecrated in the 15thC. Netherwitton, meaning the lower woods, was bought by the Dick Wittington-type Mayor of Newcatle, Roger Thornton, in 1405 who built or rebuilt the church and castle. Cromwell's army camped there in August 1651. The Lay Rectorship came to the Trevelyans by marriage in 1772 and their active interest has continued ever since. 1864 saw the rebuilding of the church - a capital and some memorial stones being the chief visiblelinks with the earlier building. A life size effigy, probably of Agnes Thornton, is worth seeing for her fashionble dress and lovely smile.
These pages were designed by MIRROR IMAGE. All photographs taken by Ray Urwin©.
For more information please contact email@example.com